Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 9

So today, in a word, was pretty sucky.  Not the problem of the camp itself, but rather... computer issues.  Which brings me to the blog prompt of today: I must convince someone why computers are a important part of my life.

Well, I'll start with a list of everything I do with computers, and then I will detail why doing those things on a computer is a lot more efficient than doing those things without a computer.

  1. Art.  I can draw with a tablet on a computer, just like a pencil, and it doesn't require so much money and supplies to create full paintings of any size I desire.  I can erase and undo, which isn't easy/possible with traditional art.  I can adjust colors in post, and I can use layers.  And even when I don't want to draw with my tablet, I can use a mouse to create miniature drawings called pixel art.  I use a variety of programs to create art including photoshop, GIMP, Paint tool SAI, and MS Paint.
  2. I write my stories.  I don't have Microsoft word, so I use Microsoft Works, which is literally a free-with-Vista program and therefore cheap and efficient, and I can type over seven thousand words and two hundred pages, without worrying about the cost of ink or of paper.  And as many times as I want, I can erase and fiddle and fix and everything.
  3. I use the internet to entertain myself, to talk to friends, to get updated on the news, to read stories written by other young unpublished authors, to provide support, to sign petitions to make a change.  I know even if I didn't have a computer, I would still stay inside as I do.  I wouldn't  be able to do any of that if I didn't go out and be active.  Also, I can feel more confident behind the semi-anonymous face of a computer, where people cannot judge me based on my looks or how I talk, or how stupid I can be, because behind a computer, I can evaluate my actions and hide the parts of myself I hate.
That may not seem very important, but it is.  Those things are things that help me keep going, even when school and life makes me feel awful and invisible and unreal.  Those are my fantasy and they are provided for me through a computer.

Enough of that depressing nonsense, onto more interesting things.

Mom, this trigger is all for you.  I'm going to talk about the Hunger Games.  Don't read this.

 So here today was Hunger Games day!  Which means "Nightlock" berries and homemade garlic bread and the movie playing in the afternoon.  Sweet.  Although I almost cried watching it from the corner of my eye.  I can't watch that movie without crying a bit, I think.  I've only ever read the first book, because the way the book ended, it was so final.  I never knew there was a sequel until someone mentioned it to me and I couldn't think of a way they could continue it.  I mean, she won with him, right?  They're not going to make her go back.  She can't go back, and so I disregarded the sequels.  Maybe if the movie sequels come out, I'll be inspired to read the books before going to watch them.  Maybe.

OKAY MOM I'M DONE.

So Alice killed me inside today.  It crashed this morning, and it almost took my entire file with it.  I couldn't lose that entire file, and luckily someone had another version, but if I want to get it done by tomorrow, well... it looks impossible.  I think I'll just have to work twice as hard to finish, and it still doesn't look good for me.

I'm exhausted with working with this program.  I should've picked something, anything, easier than I did.  I'm proud of what I've done, but in the time frame, I overlooked what I could do.  I'll try to finish tonight and tomorrow morning and just hope for the best.

*crosses fingers*

Tomorrow is the last day.  I'm excited and sad for it.  I actually found people I would like to keep track of, and the thought that they are going to spread to the winds and I'll never see them again leaves me a little sad.  It's okay though, I've had a lot of practice losing friends and people I like.

My rating for today is a 5/10.

So, until tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about your Alice program. I wish we could do something!
    I'm sure it'll be awesome!

    Cheer up :)

    p.s. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete